Apple and sweet potato are such a great puree combination. Both have a slightly sweet taste and the starchy texture which blended together give a perfect puree.
The reason this goes on my list of favorite baby purees is that it has proven to be a lifesaver a number of times. A constipation lifesaver.
During those first days and weeks introducing solids to a babies can sometimes have issues pooping as their little digestive systems might not be accustomed to solid food. My son was no different.
Although we didn’t have any huge problems (like weeks of baby constipation) we did have days when he showed signs of constipation and discomfort. And that’s when this Apple Sweet Potato Baby Puree came in. And worked every time!
Here’s a simple recipe for homemade baby food that is easy to make and packed with nutrients:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 small apple
- 1/4 cup water or breast milk/formula
- Peel and dice the sweet potato and apple into small chunks.
- Place the sweet potato in a saucepan and add enough water to cover it. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook the sweet potato for about 10-15 minutes, or until it is soft and tender.
- Drain the sweet potato and add it to a blender or food processor.
- Add the diced apple and a small amount of water or breast milk/formula to the blender.
- Blend the ingredients until they reach a smooth consistency, adding more liquid as needed.
- Once the food has cooled, it can be served to your baby in small amounts or can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer for later use.
This recipe is a great introduction to solid foods for babies as it is easy to digest, and it is packed with essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A and Vitamin C. you can also add another fruits or vegetables, like banana, blueberries, avocado, peas, and more. As your baby gets older, you can gradually introduce more complex flavors and textures to their food.